Friday, June 21, 2013

Franchisee Spotlight: Erik Rhyne

Erik Rhyne, age 30, was born and raised in Greensboro and had high hopes of becoming a NASCAR Race official. After graduating high school, Rhyne went to NASCAR Technical Institute and graduated in 2006 at the top of his class. BMW corporate saw Rhyne’s potential and recruited him to train as a master technician on scholarship in Roanoke, VA.  After graduating, Rhyne worked at various auto bodies as a master technician, and then received a call from his mother who sat next to Rissy Sutherland, president of Honest-1, on a flight. Rhyne moved back to his hometown of Greensboro and opened his own Honest-1 AutoCare at the age of 29.

How did you learn about the brand?
My mom was on a flight and happened to have a seat next to Rissy Sutherland, the president of Honest-1. They began talking and my mom told her I was a mechanic and Rissy provided more information about the franchise. She said the Greensboro location was open and it’s the first and only Honest-1 in the state of North Carolina.

Why did you choose an opportunity with Honest-1 Auto Care?
I love auto repair and my wife and I are very eco-friendly, which Honest-1 spotlights. I don’t want to do anything just to generate profit; I want to be proud of my work on a daily basis. Their environment was comforting to me. They have everything I require.  

What makes your business unique in the community?
There are plenty of automotive repair shops in the area but we are clean, attractive, and nice. The eco-friendly services we offer are very unique and the fact that we can give people a pleasant experience in a stereotypically unpleasant business speaks volumes about the brand.

Are you involved with any charities or do any community outreach with your business?
We partner with Wheels for Hope where we repair donated cars and sell them to needy families at an extremely low cost. We donate our labor and parts at no cost. We are also well connected with the University of North Carolina – Greensboro. We work closely with students with autism or Asperger’s who work in the auto shop and learn how automotive repair works. I give my employees PTO to volunteer in the community, which isn't a norm for most businesses.

What challenges have you overcome to get where you are now?
Being in management as a young person is something I've had to learn how to do. During the recession, it was also difficult to get a bank on board, and in addition to having two young kids and working full- time, my experiences have definitely been challenging.


What are your expansion or development plans? What is your end goal with Honest-1 Auto Care?
We would like to open more locations in Greensboro and the surrounding area within the next 2-3 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment