Friday, August 16, 2013

Area Developer Spotlight: Greg Gonville, Philadelphia

Greg Gonville, 45, is the regional developer for Honest-1 Auto Care in Philadelphia. Greg received his B.A. in business management and entrepreneurship from Northeastern University.  He also has his MBA in technology and e-commerce from West Chester University. As an undergraduate, Greg put his entrepreneurial curriculum into practice and successfully started two businesses: a t-shirt production and design company and a seal coating company for homes and commercial buildings.

In 2000, Gonville went to work for Sara Lee Household and Body care where he was in charge of $135 million division of the corporation which included brands such as Kiwi, Kiwi Select, Ty-D-Bol, and Liquifresh. After five years at Sara Lea, Govnille went to work for SCA Personal Care in Philadelphia, P.A.

But, after years of corporate management, Greg was ready for a change. After doing his research on various franchises, Greg discovered that Honest-1 Auto Care would be his next step.

How did you learn about the brand?
When I left the corporate world, the personal care company I was working for was being restructured. I got a severance package and during that time I was thinking through my career and what I’ve done and what I wanted to do. I wanted to run my own business and I had always had a knack for automotive repair. I got together with a broker and they showed me a bunch of different companies, but I didn’t see anything that interested me. When a local auto shop came up for sale, I went to visit it. While visiting, I just thought about all the things I would change. It was dingy and old and dirty and I wanted to change that. I went to a discovery day for another franchise. While I was there, I was talking to other prospective franchisees and they told me about Honest-1, and it was exactly what I was looking for. I saw that they were looking for a regional developer and that fit my personality, so I shifted from being an owner to being a regional developer.

What challenges have you overcome to get where you are now?
One challenge I’ve faced is discipline. When you are an employee, you get up and go to work. But when you own a business, you have to have both drive and discipline. Learning to be flexible was also a challenge; when things change, you have to be able roll with that. Patience is also key in any business ownership. You have to be patient.

What is your end goal with Honest-1?
My end goal is to have 15–20 shops in my territory. I have some great employees helping me and the owners realize their goals. Currently, I have no shops open, but we will have one open in the second week of September in Malvern.

What are some of the publications you read? Local? National? What is your goal publication with your business?
The Inquirer

Do you have any interesting hobbies or passions?
I stay active by playing ice hockey and baseball. I am also married with two children—my son is 12 and my daughter is 15.

No comments:

Post a Comment